IndieBound is an international movement bringing together booksellers, readers, indie retailers, local business alliances, and anyone else with a passionate belief that healthy local economies help communities thrive. Supporting local, independent businesses means that dollars, jobs, diversity and choices stay local, creating strong, unique communities.
Booksellers and book-lovers can join us in the IndieBound mission to support local businesses and celebrate independents.
For independent booksellers
You are a proudly independent, local bricks and mortar bookstore that believes in offering more choice, more diversity, and supporting your local community. You'd like to spread the word about the benefits of shopping locally you've come to the right place! IndieBound.org.au offers an attractive range of resources and point-of-sale materials to use in-store to encourage locals to shop with you. Get the full details on how to join here
For book lovers
You are an imaginative, thoughtful person who wants to shop locally and support your community. You like variety, creativity, and diversity, and you always value a new experience over the same old same old. You are what IndieBound is all about. IndieBound.org.au can direct you to your local independent bookseller via our Indie Store Finder or you can see what is happening at your local bookstore on our events page.
Why shop Indie?
When you shop at an independently owned business, your entire community benefits:
- Based on US research, for every $100 spent at a local store $68 of that stays in your community. Spend the same $100 at a national chain, and your community only sees $43.
- Local businesses create higher-paying jobs for our neighbours.
- More of your taxes are reinvested in your community--where they belong.
- Buying local means less packaging, less transportation, and a smaller carbon footprint.
- Shopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money to beautify your community.
- Local retailers are your friends and neighbours' support them and they'll support you.
- Local businesses donate to charities at more than twice the rate of non-local businesses.
- More independents mean more choice, more diversity, and a truly unique community.