IndieBound is a community-oriented movement begun by the independent bookseller members of the American Booksellers Association and adopted into Australia by the Australian Booksellers Association in 2011. It brings together booksellers, readers, indie retailers, local business alliances, and anyone else with a passionate belief that healthy local economies help communities thrive. Supporting local, independent businesses means that dollars, jobs, diversity and choices stay local, creating strong, unique communities.
Are you a bookseller who would like to be involved?
If you are an Australian independent bookseller this site contains everything you will need to be part of the international IndieBound campaign. To become involved you will first need to become a member of the Australian Booksellers Association.Go to the Australian Booksellers Association membership webpage
As part of your membership for an extra $100 for your first year and $50 for subsequent years, you can elect to join IndieBound.
IndieBound membership provides you with a 'Liberation Pack' containing:
- 4 posters (A2 size), 4 window decals, 150 bookmarks and 25 badges to start off your in-store IndieBound promotions
- Your IndieBound.org.au login details allowing you access to loads of marketing materials for use in you store and on your website. You'll be able to download files for posters, bookmarks, flyers, badges, stickers, t-shirts, web graphics and logos to make your own IndieBound materials.
- A Getting Started Guide with tips and assistance for spreading the IndieBound message and passion in your community
- A sample customized flyer to educate customers about the benefits of shopping indie
- Access to the member-only promotional areas of IndieBound.org.au where you can promote your store and upcoming events
Already an ABA member and want to join the IndieBound movement? click here
The American Booksellers Association designed IndieBound as a combination of book marketing, indie bookshop promotion, and the growing ‚ 'shop local' phenomenon. The Australian Booksellers Association, seeing what had happened in the US and keen to create strong, positive messages about independence and the high street in Australia, adopted the programme on behalf of its independent members. IndieBound is also active in the UK and New Zealand.
Independent bookshops are increasingly a destination of choice, especially for consumers who want to be part of their community. Very often, bookshops are already at the heart of a community, and a place where customers discover their next great book and where they meet somebody to talk with about it. Independent booksellers are uniquely placed to talk to their customers about independence and about sustaining a healthy high street.
Consumers in Australia today are aware of the importance of independent businesses and the health of the high street. The growth of farmers markets, the Transition Town movement and many other campaigns show how important it is to consumers to shop locally. We want IndieBound to be a key part of booksellers connecting with these community-aware customers and taking the positive message outwards to other indie retailers and businesses.
The US campaign is very well established, and you can see what they are up to by clicking www.indiebound.org